South Central Climate Adaptation Science Center (South Central CASC) Affiliate Program Revised May 16, 2023
What does it mean to be an affiliate?
An Affiliate of the South Central CASC is a person whose professional activity, including research or education, contributes to the goals and mission of the Center and who is actively engaging with the Center throughout the year.
Individuals interested in joining the Affiliate program must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Are affiliated with one of the seven member institutions that comprise the South Central CASC consortium*.
- Be listed as an individual collaborator/partner in the South Central CASC host agreement or in a South Central CASC funded project.
- Be confirmed by the Executive Committee in the application process to enhance strengths in key areas.
University of Oklahoma, Texas Tech University, Louisiana State University, The Chickasaw Nation, The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, and University of New Mexico
To maintain Affiliate status, members must strive to do the following on a yearly basis:
- Conduct climate-related research connected to the mission of the Center. Such activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Developing project for the USGS CASC annual project solicitations
- Collaborating with other South Central CASC Affiliates or (Co-) Principal Investigators on projects.
- Participating in at least one of the South Central CASC Communities of Practice.
- Mentoring a South Central CASC funded student or postdoc.
- Share updates on your projects, grants, and other newsworthy information with our South Central CASC Communication Specialist.
- Attend or facilitate at least one South Central CASC-sponsored event. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Participating in South Central CASC webinars, brown bags, annual meetings, etc. to learn about others’ climate-related research.
- Participating in CASC-sponsored training and education programs as an attendee or instructor (e.g., Early Career Workshop).
- Presenting research updates on the South Central CASC webinar series or at the South Central CASC Science Meeting, especially CASC funded research.
- Promote relevant South Central CASC sponsored opportunities to your students and early career researchers.
Affiliates who uphold the responsibilities mentioned above are eligible for the benefits described below:
- Research Support and Funding
- Receive immediate notification of annual or supplemental project solicitations from the CASCs.
- May request publication or travel support for CASC-related work.
- Communities of Practice members may request seed funding to support student or postdoc summer salaries to assist with CoP projects.
- Receive an invitation to the annual South Central CASC Science Meeting.
- Are listed on the South Central CASC website with a description of research interests to foster collaboration.
- Invitation to ideating or similar events.
- Research Promotion
- May request to feature research and publications on the South Central CASC website, newsletter, and social media.
- Certificate of Appreciation
Selection of Affiliates
Candidates for the Affiliate Program may nominate themselves by submitting a paragraph of interest that indicates their acknowledgment of the Affiliate responsibilities for the Center and providing a copy of their latest CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Executive Committee’s Secretary will forward the package on a quarterly basis to the Executive Committee for approval based on the start of the grant year (August 1). Executive Committee members reserve the right to solicit additional information from the applicant or decline applications outright.
Upon receipt of the application packages, a two-week evaluation period will be given during which members may voice their assent or dissent for candidates with a lack of a vote being counted as an assent. Votes must be unanimous for promotion to any of the Affiliate Program options. The Secretary will write a formal letter acknowledging the success, or lack thereof, in regard to the candidate’s application.
Amendments to Affiliate Program
This document may be altered, amended, or repealed and a new Affiliate Program may be adopted through a majority vote of the Executive Committee.